Members

26/10/2007

SVEN-Goran Eriksson is set to name an unchanged line-up for the fourth game running as Manchester City look to end Chelsea's formidable home record at Stamford Bridge.

After three straight Barclays Premier League wins on home soil, there is no reason for Eriksson to make changes, even though £8.8million striker Rolando Bianchi is likely to be available.

Joe Hart will continue in goal, although with Kasper Schmeichel now on loan at Cardiff, Sweden World Cup star Andreas Isaksson is the England Under-21 keeper's major competition.

Eriksson will be hoping that Chelsea suffer a dip after a tough midweek outing in the Champions League, in which they overcame German club Schalke 2-0 at Stamford Bridge.

But he knows they have talented fresh legs to utilise should they need them - possibly including former Blues favourite Shaun Wright-Phillips.

The Swede left the winger out of his World Cup party for Germany last summer, but is still a big fan.

"I think SWP, from what I have seen of him this season, is getting better and better," said Eriksson, who will be hoping the unspecified knock that kept the winger out of the side in midweek has not healed.

Technique

"I didn't take him to the World Cup last year for the simple reason that he didn't play much for Chelsea.

"He is a great player and like all great players needs to play regularly. I am sure he will want to play.

"Shaun has good technique, fine pace and is very direct. He has many qualities and if he plays tomorrow, Javier Garrido and Martin Petrov will have to work very hard."

There may have been an occasion when Eriksson came close to managing Wright-Phillips at club level in London, but we will have to wait to find out.

When asked in the build-up to the match how close him came to joining Chelsea as boss - there were reports of a secret meeting with Roman Abramovich in 2003 - the Swede produced a body swerve of which Wright-Phillips would have been proud.

"One day, maybe I will write a book," he laughed. "It will not be now, so you will have to wait until that book comes out, in 10 years' time - maybe! All I had was a cup of tea with Abramovich, which I didn't have to pay for."

While the strength or otherwise of Eriksson's friendship with the Chelsea owner remains a secret, his working partnership with City owner Thaksin Shinawatra is growing by the week.

The former Thai Prime Minister went out of his way this week to describe Eriksson as the `perfect choice' and the manager confirmed the two of them are on the same wavelength.

"I speak with Dr Thaksin every week, perhaps twice per week," said Eriksson. "He comes to the training ground now and then and I had a glass of wine with him on Wednesday night.

"He says he likes the job I am doing and it is very good relationship. We have a positive dialogue. He wants to know about football, what we do in training, and what new players I may have identified."

Meanwhile, Avram Grant has no fresh injury worries ahead of the game.

Captain John Terry and left-back Ashley Cole are sidelined with knee and ankle injuries respectively.

Wayne Bridge is suspended and Michael Ballack is still missing with ankle problems.

Chelsea (from): Cech, Cudicini, Hilario, Ferreira, Belletti, Alex, Ben-Haim, Lampard, Mikel, Essien, J Cole, Carvalho, Makelele, Sidwell, Malouda, Drogba, Shevchenko, Pizarro, Kalou, Wright-Phillips.

Manchester City (from): Hart, Isaksson, Corluka, Onuoha, Richards, Dunne, Garrido, Ball, Ireland, Geovanni, Hamann, Fernandes, Johnson, Petrov, Sun, Elano, Mpenza, Samaras, Bianchi.

Last season: Chelsea 3 City 0

Key opponent: Didier Drogba - Powerhouse forward is returning to his best form

Prediction: Chelsea 1 City 0 - City are playing well, but the odds are against them and Chelsea are hitting form

Agree with the prediction? Have your say.

Manchester Evening News

Views: 81

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"สเวน" คงเซอร์ไพร้ส์โดยเลือก "เบียงคี่" เป็นตัวจริงลงล่าตาข่าย

RSS

© 2024   Created by thaiMCFC.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Text Link Ads script error: local_200939.xml is not writable. Please set write permissions on local_200939.xml.